Open Textbooks Toolkit
The BCcampus Open Textbook Toolkit is your starting point on how to change education with just one textbook. It provides a list of our open textbooks, information and guidelines for adopting and assigning an open textbook.
About Open Textbooks in B.C.
In October 2012, the BC Ministry of Advanced Education announced its support for the creation of open textbooks for the 40 highest-enrolled first and second year subject areas in the province’s public post-secondary system. BCcampus is tasked with co-ordination of the project because of our 10-year experience funding open educational resources (OER) through the Online Program Development Fund.
The goal of the Open Textbook Project is to provide flexible and affordable access to higher education resources in B.C. by making open textbooks available for use by B.C. faculty, and digital versions of the texts are free of charge to faculty and students. Printed copies are also available on demand for a low cost.
High-quality, peer-reviewed textbooks ready to use now
The following textbooks have been rated 4 or higher (out of 5) by your peers in the British Columbia higher education system and are available for download now:
- Calculus – Early Transcendentals
- Organic Chemistry with a Biological Emphasis
- Communication Theory
- Principles of Microeconomics
- forall x: An Introduction to Formal Logic
- Mastering Strategic Management
- College Physics
- Introduction to Psychology
- Introductory Statistics
- An Introduction to Sociology
- Open Textbooks formats
- Guidelines on choosing and assigning an Open Textbook
- Adopting an Open Textbook video tutorial
- Why Open Textbooks? A video clip from BCcampus
- Print Support Materials (poster, brochure)
- Have you adopted an open textbook? Share your experience with us. We’ll send you a thank you gift.
- Open Textbook FAQ
- Sign up for updates if you have already adopted a textbook
2. Guidelines on choosing and assigning an open textbook
If you are an instructor looking for an open textbook to assign to your class here are some guidelines.
3. A short video tutorial on how to adopt an Open Textbook:
Download and use now:
- Open Textbooks Brochure (PDF), size: 5″ x 7″.
- Open Textbook Poster (PDF), size: 11″ x 17″.
- Open Textbooks Sticker (JPG), size: 3″x 3″, circle.
Download, use, re-use and remix:
The following are individual .zip files containing all files file necessary to edit and use, re-use or remix, with the exception of fonts. Requires Helvetica Neue font. Created in InDesign CS6 format.
Recently adopt an Open Textbook from the BCcampus textbook colleciton? Tell us about it!
7. Open Textbook FAQ
Frequently asked questions about Open Textbooks.